Re: Compling drivers from v4l-dvb hg tree

On Sat, 25 Apr 2009, Erik de Castro Lopo wrote:
> On Fri, 24 Apr 2009 18:09:17 -0400
> Devin Heitmueller <devin.heitmueller@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > > Ok, but how do I patch the v4l-dvb sources into a linux kernel tree?
> >
> > You don't.

You can, make kernel-links

> > The v4l-dvb sources are maintained out-of-tree, and override whatever
> > is in the linux kernel tree.  Periodically, the v4l-dvb maintainer
> > syncs with the kernel tree and the changes are pushed upstream into
> > the mainline kernel.  This approach allows for the v4l-dvb project to
> > be used with kernel releases other than the current bleeding edge
> > kernel.
>
> Ok,  but the instructions on http://linuxtv.org/repo compiles the
> driver for the current running kernel. How do I compile it for
> another kernel, ie an x86 embedded device that I normally do not
> compile on?

See "make help", it explains this.  Use "make release
DIR=/other/kernel/src/dir" to compile for any kernel you want.  I haven't
tried cross-compiling v4l-dvb so I'm not sure how that will work.  I'd just
try the standard ARCH and CROSS_COMPILE settings like a kernel build uses
and see what happens.