Re: Installation of Cinergy HTC USB Driver in Ubuntu Jaunty

On Sat, Apr 25, 2009 at 5:49 AM, Peter Hoyland
<Peter.Hoyland@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hallo
>
> I have a Terratec Cinergy HTC USB XS Stick and want to use this with
> Me-TV in order to record and view TV via Cable (Germany).
>
> My research shows that a driver is in development under this link
> http://mcentral.de/wiki/index.php5?title=Terratec_HTC_XS&oldid=2804.
>
> This link offers no instructions to installation, I was hoping that it
> would be included In Ubuntu Jaunty, alas to no avail. I am hoping that
> you can help me further or at least tell me in which Kernel release this
> driver will be integrated.
>
> Thanks in advance
> Peter Hoyland

This device is supported in Markus's closed source driver only.  It
will not be merged into the mainline kernel, and there are no plans at
this time for anyone else to reverse engineer the Micronas demod and
write an open source driver.

My advice: return it and buy something supported.

Micronas actively screwed the Linux community when they had me do all
the integration work for their device and then refused to let me
release it.  I wouldn't buy any of their products if you care about
open source.

Devin

--
Devin J. Heitmueller