Re: Applying SoC camera framework on multi-functional camera interface

On Tue, 21 Apr 2009, Hans Verkuil wrote:

> > Well, you might look at drivers/media/video/soc_camera_platform.c for an
> > example of a simple "pseudo" camera driver. Of course, with your two
> > additional devices you don't want to add extra platform devices and extra
> > probing. In fact, you can do this with the "old" (currently in the
> > mainline) soc-camera model, where client drivers actively report
> > themselves to the soc-camera core using soc_camera_device_register() /
> > soc_camera_device_unregister() and the core doesn't care about the nature
> > of those drivers. This is not going to be the case with the new platform /
> > v4l2-subdev infrastructure, which is pretty tightly bound to i2c... So,
> > we'll have to extend it too.
>
> Not true. v4l2-device and v4l2-subdev are bus-independent. Only the
> v4l2-i2c-* helper functions in v4l2-common.c are i2c dependent. For
> example, ivtv uses v4l2_subdev to control devices connected via gpio,
> while cx18 uses it for a logical video decoder block on the main asic.
>
> Other than initialization and possibly cleanup there should be NO
> bus-dependencies.

Sorry, what I wrote above wasn't clear enough. By "platform / v4l2-subdev
infrastructure" I meant the current (as of my patch from a couple of hours
ago) soc-camera - platform stack linked to v4l2-subdev the way it is
implemented there. In that patch soc-camera uses the i2c interface of
v4l2-subdev directly and is thus rather i2c-centric. So, we will have to
extend soc-camera to also support the bus-neutral v4l2-subdev API.

Thanks
Guennadi
---
Guennadi Liakhovetski, Ph.D.