Current state of DVB-C support

Hi there,

	I´d like to share with you my recent experience with DVB-C cards and a
Brazilian Provider.

	My first attempt to use a DVB-C was with a KNC1 card. I just had to
download the latest source from dvb repository, compile and install.
The card was identified, I could scan channels and watch TV. BUT some
channels works very badly, as the card couldnt lock properly on a few
transponders (309mhz and 321mhz). Running a czap on those channels
shows that the card keep "locking" and loosing the lock.
	I thought that the problem could be something with my cabling, so I
tried my card at a friend´s house with the same results. I also tried a
attenuator, but without success too.

	On my second attempt I bought a twinhan CAB ci card. Card identified,
but scan didnt worked. Some googleing later, I got it working by
commenting the line 1360 in dst.c (!(state->dst_type ==
DST_TYPE_IS_CABLE) &&). To my surprise this card has NO problem locking
on 309mhz and 321mhz channels. It seems to take a little longer to
lock/changing channels compared to my twinhan DVB-S card (I´m comparing
apples and oranges, right?), but so far it´s working ok.

	My third attempt was with a technisat cablestar HD2 card. I used the
mantis repository to get the card working (is the mantis driver already
merged with v4l-dvb?). Again, I can scan channels, but the card could
not  lock on those Transponders. In fact it also take a lot longer to
lock on a channel, but after it got a lock, it works right.

	Since twinhan works fine, I supose that there´s no problem with my
cable/splitter. Also, I supose that the chance of two disctinct broken
tuners is low. A recent thread on TT-1501 shows that, if I understood
it right, there´s a kind of table where a power level is set to each
frequency range. Is it possible that my two cards didnt worked on those
especif transporders because of this kind of setting?  BTW, the two non
working cards have a TDA10023 demodulator.

	I´m not a dev, but I would like to help to debug this. How can I help?

p.s. posting to linux-media, as I was told that linux-dvb is deprecated.

--
Christian Lyra
POP-PR - RNP