Re: libv4l: Possibility of changing the current pixelformat on the fly

Hans de Goede wrote:
> On 04/05/2009 01:26 PM, Erik Andrén wrote:
>>

>> Hans de Goede wrote:

>>> The changing of the pixelformat only happens when you flip the data
>>> before conversion. If you look at the current upside down handling
>>> code you will see it does the rotate 180 degrees after conversion.
>>>
>>> This is how the vflip / hflip should be handled too. We only have
>>> 4 (2 really since we don't care about r versus b / u versus v while
>>> flippiing) destination formats for which we then need to write flipping
>>> code. Otherwise we need to write flipping code for *all* supported input
>>> formats, not to mention flipping some input formats is close to
>>> impossible
>>> (JPEG for example).
>>>

>> So you mean we should do the vflip/hflip in software, just exposing
>> one native format?
>>

> Erm, yes that is what I was saying, but that is because I was confusing
> things with the sq905 driver some other people are working on.

Glad that you were confused as I couldn't really make out the
meaning of your answer. :)

> Now I understand what you were trying to ask. So the problem is that
> the vv6410 sensor can do flipping in hardware, and then the order in
> which it sends out the pixels changes from gbgbgb (for example)
> to bgbgbg, for the lines which have blue, effectively changing the
> pixelformat, right?

Correct.

> In that case I think the only solution is to simply return -EBUSY when
> the vflip / hflip controls are changed while a stream is active.

So this effectively forces a reprobe of the hardware?

> As for the race window with one application querying the format (or even
> setting it) and then another app changing the flip before the application
> which just set the format starts the stream, we already have that wrt 2
> applications doing this:
> app a: setformat x
> app b: setformat y
> app a: start stream (thinking format is x)
>
> Which is something which normally (luckily) never happens.

If this ever becomes a real issue, shouldn't some kind of user-space
master program aquire the device and then handle format requests for
all client programs?

> Does that sound like a plan ?

Yes, I'll try this ASAP.

> Note that this is a solution at the driver level, which IMHO is the only
> way as we cannot assume libv4l is always being used.

If it works this sounds like the most clean and elegant solution.
The weak point being that the application must try to renegotiate
the format upon the -EBUSY signal.

Thanks for the help!

Regards,
Erik