Re: [PULL] http://www.linuxtv.org/hg/~hverkuil/v4l-dvb

On Thu, 2 Apr 2009 18:16:42 +0200
Hans Verkuil <hverkuil@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi Mauro,
>
> Please pull from http://www.linuxtv.org/hg/~hverkuil/v4l-dvb

Done. We should convert TUNER_SET_CONFIG to v4l2-subdev, in order to stop using
the i2c command interface. I didn't checked, but I suspect that this is the
last case of using the i2c command on v4l drivers.

The removal of i2c command will probably make Jean happy as well, since
this will also remove some legacy code from i2c core.

> This finalizes (I hope :-) ) the v4l2-subdev conversion. Most of these
> patches above remove code that's no longer needed. There are also some
> v4l2-subdev.h API improvements that I postponed until all the drivers were
> converted. These changes are trivial, but touch on a lot of files.

Please let's avoid changing the internal API again on 2.6.31. We should focus
on fixing the bugs during this cycle, since the changes were far above the
usual, and affected all drivers.

> The other major change is that the old i2c autoprobing API is now used for
> kernels < 2.6.26. This was < 2.6.22, but a bug in i2c_new_probed_subdev
> prevent us from using the new i2c API for kernels 2.6.22-2.6.25. Actually
> it would be possible with 2.6.25, but since there were some other i2c API
> changes in 2.6.26 anyway I decided that it made life easier if we put the
> switchover point at 2.6.26.

Ok.

> There are some other cleanups I could do, but all the important ones are now
> taken care of.
>
> I would like to take the opportunity to thank Jean Delvare for his support
> and his help in testing various drivers and working on ir-kbd-i2c, and
> Mauro for processing and merging all my patches. I feel a little guilty for
> burying Mauro in this big pile of patches :-)
>
> I also want to thank Andy Walls for doing the cx18 conversion, Mike Isely
> for doing the pvrusb2 conversion, Douglas Landgraf for doing the em28xx
> conversion, Trent Piepho for his reviews, Steve Toth for testing the
> cx23885 driver, Devin Heitmueller for converting au8522/au0828 and Sri
> Deevi for converting the cx231xx driver at short notice.
>
> I've no doubt forgotten people, for which I apologize.

Thank you and all the others for the efforts. I expect you all to take extra
care to fix all regressions that may eventually rise with those changes. In
particular, please track the bugzillas at kernel.org.

Cheers,
Mauro