Re: The right way to interpret the content of SNR, signal strength and BER from HVR 4000 Lite

VDR User wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 19, 2009 at 11:55 PM, Manu Abraham <abraham.manu@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> * At the peak, you will get the maximum quality
>> * falling down the slope to the left and right you will get falling
>> signal strengths
>> * Still rolling down, you will get increasing ERROR's, with still
>> UNCORRECTABLES being steady.
>> * Still falling down at the thresholds where you are about to loose
>> frontend LOCK, you will see UNCORRECTABLE's getting incremented.
>>
>> Couple this logic into a program, with a feedback to the ROTOR and
>> you get an automated satellite positioner, with a good fine tuned
>> position.
>
> This would make for a very very useful tool to have.  I can't count
> the number of times I've seen people inquire about tools to help them
> aim their dish and this sounds like the perfect solution to that long
> standing problem.  Especially if it returned the network id once it's
> achieve a lock so the user can see if he's pointed to the correct
> satellite.

If you have a motor and you are able to automatically peak satellites,
the only thing missing is a program to find all the signals automatically,
including the ones which are turned on and off in a matter of minutes.

Just google for *blindscan* (and maybe my name) to find a
utility I wrote years ago and abandoned after failing to get
the corresponding mt312-autosymbolrate kernel patch integrated.

Next step, automatically upload found signals on some site, maybe
including a frame from the received video stream and let users
comment/moderate interesting ones on a sort of forum. :-)
Hmmmm, feeds...

Best regards.
   Roberto Ragusa    mail at robertoragusa.it