Re: The right way to interpret the content of SNR, signal strength and BER from HVR 4000 Lite

On Tue, 2009-03-24 at 18:08 -0400, Steven Toth wrote:
> >> Let me ask this rhetorical question: if we did nothing more than just
> >> normalize the SNR to provide a consistent value in dB, and did nothing
> >> more than normalize the existing strength field to be 0-100%, leaving
> >> it up to the driver author to decide the actual heuristic, what
> >> percentage of user's needs would be fulfilled?
>
> We don't need a new API and more complexity and/or code confusion, just
> standardize on the unit values for the existing APIs.
>
> 1) SNR in either units of db or units of .1 db (I don't care which, although I
> prefer the later).

Devin,

ETSI TR 101 290 v1.2.1

can provide some guidance and information on conversion of measurement
quantities.  For example, as part of a conversion from Es/No to S/N,
Annex G, G.2 and G.3 tells you the right factor to use to convert from
No to N.

Here's where to go to download the document:
http://pda.etsi.org/pda/queryform.asp
(Free registration required.  Downloads of DVB docs are free.)

The list of DVB standards is here:
http://www.dvb.org/technology/standards/index.xml

Regards,
Andy