Re: The right way to interpret the content of SNR, signal strength and BER from HVR 4000 Lite

That said, the solution takes the approach of "revolutionary" as
opposed to "evolutionary", which always worries me.  While providing a
much more powerful interface, it also means all of the applications
will have to properly support all of the various possible
representations of the data, increasing the responsibility in userland
considerably.

Not necessarily, the application can simply chose to support what
the driver provides as is, thereby doing no translations at all.

From the end user point of view it is not very usefull if he has 2
different cards and application can not show any usefull signal goodness info in a way that would be easy to compare. So I think the attempt to standardize to db is good.

Maybe there could then in addition be some other optional method for also getting data in some hw specific format in a way that Manu suggested. But there should anyway be mandatory to have this one "standard goodness value" in a way that does not require apps to make any complicate comparisons... (I bet half of those apps would be broken for years)

Mika