Re: Results of the 'dropping support for kernels <2.6.22' poll

> On Sat, 21 Mar 2009, Mauro Carvalho Chehab wrote:
>> > When this thread was started, it was about dropping support for
>> > kernels < 2.6.22.  However, it has turned into a thread about moving
>> > to git and dropping support for *all* kernels less than the bleeding
>> > edge -rc candidate (only supporting them through a backport system for
>> > testers).  The two are very different things.
>
> Yes they are very different things.  I do not like a poll about dropping
> the current build system being disguised as a poll about dropping support
> for very old kernels.  How about a new poll, "should developers be
> required
> to have multiple systems and spend the majority of their time recompiling
> new kernels and testing nvidia and wireless drivers?"

The poll was just about dropping support for old kernels. Nothing more,
nothing less. There were a few who commented that they wouldn't mind
dropping all compatibility, but those were very much a minority. I for one
want to keep the compatibility code in one way or another so we can
support the last X kernels and make life easy for ourselves and for our
users.

Regards,

       Hans