Re: gspca in the LinuxTv wiki

Theodore Kilgore wrote:
But OTOH this causes a problem, too, because the manufacturers of cameras (probably some of them are not exactly manufacturers but rather packagers) are switching the electronics inside the device any time they feel like it, or if they get a large quantity of chips at a good price, or whatever. I have seen it happen several times that a certain camera keeps the make and model, but it gets a new USB Vendor:Product number. And, worst of all, it may have previously been well supported but now it is not. Someone who goes and buys the camera based upon the make and model which are stencilled on the outside of the camera and printed on the packaging material can end up being stung.

Ok, just a example. See http://www.kaiser-linux.li/index.php/Linux_and_Webcams#Typhoon_Easycam_USB_330K

At the time I bought this cam it had a sn9c102 bridge and PAS202 and was working great with gspca. Some time later, somebody reported to me that he has the same cam but with a PAC7311. So I just updated my page with the new information. AS of coincident, I was working on the PAC7311 at the time I got this report!

Anyway, with a good and nice looking page on the LinuxTV wiki, you can get more interest from some other people and they may sign up and correct the page or ad new information (like this cam has now this chipset).

Thomas