Re: atmel v4l2 soc driver

On Monday 23 March 2009 16:40:06 Guennadi Liakhovetski wrote:
> On Mon, 23 Mar 2009, Sedji Gaouaou wrote:
> > I am writing a driver for the ov9655 sensor from Omnivision.
> > To do so I am using the ov772x.c file as an example.
> > But I don't understant, because it seems that I never enter the
> > video_probe function...
> > Do you have any idea what could I do wrong? Is it coming from a wrong
> > i2c config?
>
> Wouldn't ov9655 be similar enough to ov9650 as used in stk-sensor.c?
> Hans, would that one also be converted to v4l2-device? If so, Sedji, you
> don't need to write yet another driver for it.

stk-sensor.c isn't a proper i2c driver: it's programmed through registers on
the stk1125 control interface. That driver should probably be rewritten as
a stk1125 driver that creates an i2c adapter which would allow stk-sensor.c
to be rewritten as a proper i2c subdev.

Anyway, stk-sensor.c won't be (nor needs to be) converted. This obviously
means that stk-sensor is not reusable in any other driver. There is no easy
solution to that, other than a stk-*.c rewrite.

Note that there is also ov965x support in gspca/ov534.c. I think that
several gspca drivers should really be rewritten so that they just create
an i2c adapter and load the i2c sensor subdev.

Regards,

	Hans