Re: The right way to interpret the content of SNR, signal strength and BER from HVR 4000 Lite

On Fri, Mar 20, 2009 at 2:55 AM, Manu Abraham <abraham.manu@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> When you position an antenna, you do not get a LOCK in most cases.
> The signal statistics for any demodulator are valid only with a
> frontend LOCK.

This is absolutely true, and a very common problem in the drivers (at
least with the ATSC/QAM devices).  Most of the drivers blindly return
whatever value is in the register regardless of whether there is lock.
 One of the things I plan to do for the ATSC devices is go through
each of them and make sure they properly return ENOSIGNAL when there
is not a lock (this is actually already the defined behavior in the
dvb v3 spec), as well as submitting patches for Kaffeine to properly
reflect this state to the user.

Cheers,

Devin

--