Re: Is v4l2 loopback needed in kernel? Invitation for code review

Hi Vasily!

On Thursday 05 March 2009 22:13:24 vasaka@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Hello, my v4l2 loopback device is now at working state: it can do
> streaming and basic IO, works with Skype, luvcview and mplayer. next
> feature planned is allowing multiply readers.
> Benefits from having this driver are: video effects for video
> conferencing programms aware only about v4l, driver can serve as
> adapter between v4l1 and v4l2 and allow multiply readers for webcam.
>
> Is it worth to push this driver to kernel? I have already done some
> work to comply with kernel coding style, and need a code review to
> make shure if I managed to follow common practicies.
>
> current version is tested only with 2.6.26 kernel, I will add 2.6.28
> support(if any work needed) soon.
> code hosted on google code
> http://code.google.com/p/v4l2loopback/

This reply has been on my todo list for ages, but I finally gotten around to
it :-)

Yes, I think it is useful to have this as part of the kernel. But the first
step will have to be to make your code compile and work with the v4l-dvb
master repository: http://linuxtv.org/hg/v4l-dvb/

See also:
http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/Development:_How_to_submit_patches

Note that there have been a lot of changes lately, so you should use the
master repository as the starting point for your driver.

Regards,

	Hans