Re: SNR status for demods

On Wed, Mar 18, 2009 at 3:05 PM, wk <handygewinnspiel@xxxxxx> wrote:
> What about signal strength and BER readout in parallel for each device
> listed here?

I'm having enough trouble even getting people to agree on the format
for the SNR field.  The strength field is even more subjective.  At
this point, I think it is best to focus on the SNR and once we get
some agreement there we can look at the strength and BER fields.

Updating the DVB documentation is the *easy* part.  The problem is
figuring out what the standard should be in the first place (which
requires some agreement among the demod developers).

> Needs the same docs and would not add too much work..

I agree this would be useful.  Feel free to get started on this.

> tda10021:  MSE[7..0] (= reg 0x18 )
> "Mean Square Error of the demodulated output signal. MSE can be used as a
> representation of the signal quality."
>
>   u8 quality = ~tda10021_readreg(state, 0x18);
>   *snr = (quality << 8) | quality;
>
> ves1820:    the same.
> tda10023:  seems to be the same. (no info, but chip is very close to
> tda10021)

Thanks,

Devin

--