Re: Results of the 'dropping support for kernels <2.6.22' poll

On Sun, Mar 15, 2009 at 12:39 PM, Trent Piepho <xyzzy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> It seems like the real complaint is that dealing v4l-dvb's development
> system is more work for those people who choose not to use it.  Why don't
> we just switch to CVS while were at it, to make it easier for those who
> don't want to learn git?

Personally, the problem for me is not one of which source control
system we use.  I don't care if it's cvs, svn, bzr, hg, or git.  What
I do care about is what the tree contains.

I do all of my development on a stock Ubuntu box that is running the
latest stable release (Intrepid right now).  I want to do v4l-dvb
development, but I do *not* want to be required to run the bleeding
edge kernel.  I want to do v4l-dvb development without having to worry
about whether my wireless chipset is going to work today, or my video
driver.  Having a stable distro allows me to focus on *my* driver
without being susceptible to breakage unrelated to my work.

I know I'm not the only one who develops with this model.  This is not
just an issue about the people looking to test the tree.

Devin

--
Devin J. Heitmueller
http://www.devinheitmueller.com