Re: Results of the 'dropping support for kernels <2.6.22' poll

On Sunday 15 March 2009 17:39:11 Trent Piepho wrote:
> On Sat, 7 Mar 2009, Guennadi Liakhovetski wrote:

> > > Why must you generate your patches from a different tree?  One could
> > > just as well say that the linux kernel indentation style is more
> > > work, since they use GNU style have to translate their patch from a
> > > re-indented tree.
> >
> > [snip]
> >
> > Hans has already answered your question very well in this thread. I
> > don't think I can add anything.
>
> Because there are patches that touch both the media tree and outside it?
> I don't buy it.  Even for sub-systems that only use full git trees, you
> almost never see a patch that touches multiple areas of maintainership.
> It's just too hard to deal with getting acks from everyone involved,
> dealing with the out-of-sync development git trees of the multiple areas
> you want to touch, figuring out who will take your patch, etc.

Think embedded devices like omap, davinci and other SoC devices. These all
require changes in both v4l-dvb and arch at the same time. Easy to do if
you have a full git tree, much harder to do in the current situation.

These devices will become much more important in the coming months and
years, so having a proper git tree will definitely help.

This is a relatively new development and before that it was indeed rare to
see patches touching on areas outside the media tree. Not anymore, though.

Regards,

	Hans