Re: Topro 6800 driver

Hello Anders

Anders Blomdell wrote:
Jean-Francois Moine wrote:
On Fri, 27 Feb 2009 23:15:54 +0100
About the JPEG images, the Huffman table is always the same
Does this mean that it's the same for all JPEG images or only for one camera?

If it's the same for all images, it should mean that I have a way to determine how much I have to chop off after the 0xfffe tag (no illegal huffman codes -> possibly chop at the correct position).

Comments anyone?

As per definition of JPEG, the Huffman table is always calculated especially for each picture to get the best compression. Thus the Huffman table and the DQT has to be in the JPEG stream like you see on JPEG picture on your HD. With webcams, it is a bit an other story. The webcam hardware is usually not powerful enough to calculate the Huffman table for each frame. Therefor a static Huffman table is used. This Huffman table should fit more less to the image the camera is producing. With the drawback that we cannot achieve the highest compression possible. On the other hand the Huffman table is always the same the cam has not to send this in the video stream and the stream has less overhead.

In short, the Huffman table is always the same for a given webcam.

I don't think 0xfffe is a valid JPEG marker. 0xfffe is a comment marker and the next 2 bytes after this markers tells the length of the comment (including the two length byte). So, your comment would be 10300 Bytes long. I don't think that such many Bytes are used for a comment when they try to have as less as possible overhead. I think 0xfffe is the start of the compressed data stream and has nothing to do with JPEG markers.

Thomas