Re: Conversion of vino driver for SGI to not use the legacy decoder API

On Friday 27 February 2009 01:47:42 Mauro Carvalho Chehab wrote:
> After the conversion of Zoran driver to V4L2, now almost all drivers are
> using the new API. However, there are is one remaining driver using the
> video_decoder.h API (based on V4L1 API) for message exchange between the
> bridge driver and the i2c sensor: the vino driver.
>
> This driver adds support for the Indy webcam and for a capture hardware
> on SGI. Does someone have those hardware? If so, are you interested on
> helping to convert those drivers to fully use V4L2 API?
>
> The SGI driver is located at:
> 	drivers/media/video/vino.c
>
> Due to vino, those two drivers are also using the old API:
> 	drivers/media/video/indycam.c
> 	drivers/media/video/saa7191.c
>
> It shouldn't be hard to convert those files to use the proper APIs, but
> AFAIK none of the current active developers has any hardware for testing
> it.

The conversion has already been done in my v4l-dvb-vino tree. I'm trying to
convince the original vino author to boot up his Indy and test it, but he
is not very interested in doing that. I'll ask him a few more times, but we
may have to just merge my code untested. Or perhaps just drop it.

Jean, I remember you mentioning that you wouldn't mind if the i2c-algo-sgi
code could be dropped which is only used by vino. How important is that to
you? Perhaps we are flogging a dead horse here and we should just let this
driver die.

Regards,

	Hans