Re: [linux-dvb] writing DVB recorder, questions

Hi Juhana,

On Thu, 26 Feb 2009, Juhana Sadeharju wrote:
Hello. I started writing a simple DVB recorder, dvbrec. Perhaps
it later evolves to program such as Klear, which indeed is
clearest thing I have seen among DVB programs (but misses subtitles).

The complete stream has too much of data: 10 GB per hour.
As solution, existing recorders seems to pick only parts of the
whole stream (audio and video of one channel), missing many
features, including subtitles. The idea seems to be to drop
the parts that are unwanted and unknown (to author).

Perfect recording requires more. My idea is to pick all what comes
and drop the known parts: audio and video of the unwanted channels.
This leaves subtitles, alternative languages, robovoice, epg,
text-tv, etc. intact.

I'm not answering to your question and I don't know about Robovoice, but for the rest VDR could do it for you. Either with plugins or (most of it) native.

VDR in conjunction with vdr-xineliboutput can be nicely integrated in Desktop or dedicated SetTopBox-replacement environments.

If I were you, I'd give it a try :)

Patrick.