Re: zc3xx: "Creative Webcam Live!" never worked with in-tree driver

Jean-Francois Moine wrote:
On Tue, 24 Feb 2009 21:19:16 -0300
Mauro Carvalho Chehab <mchehab@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Tue, 24 Feb 2009 16:00:59 -0800
Auke Kok <auke@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Auke Kok wrote:
All,

I have a "Creative Technology, Ltd Webcam Live!/Live! Pro" that
until recently worked fine with the out-of-tree gspcav1 driver (gspcav1-20071224.tar.gz is the latest version I used unti
2.6.26).

Since this driver (basically) got merged in the kernel I got my
hopes up that the in-kernel gspca_zc3xx drivers would work.
However, that does not provide a usable video0 device - mplayer
tv:// crashes with 'No stream found.' for instance:

Playing tv://.
Cache fill:  0.00% (0 bytes)
TV file format detected.
Selected driver: v4l2
 name: Video 4 Linux 2 input
 author: Martin Olschewski <olschewski@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 comment: first try, more to come ;-)
Selected device: WebCam Live!
 Capabilites:  video capture  read/write  streaming
 supported norms:
 inputs: 0 = zc3xx;
 Current input: 0
 Current format: unknown (0x4745504a)
tv.c: norm_from_string(pal): Bogus norm parameter, setting
default. v4l2: ioctl enum norm failed: Invalid argument
Error: Cannot set norm!
Selected input hasn't got a tuner!
v4l2: ioctl set mute failed: Invalid argument
v4l2: ioctl query control failed: Invalid argument
v4l2: ioctl query control failed: Invalid argument
FPS not specified in the header or invalid, use the -fps option.
No stream found.

v4l2: ioctl set mute failed: Invalid argument
v4l2: 0 frames successfully processed, 0 frames dropped.

Exiting... (End of file)

I've regressed back to the original import of the spca driver in
the kernel tree and this doesn't fix it, so I'm assuming that the
driver were not merged correctly for my particular device.

Basically the driver probes and load fine as is right now, no
unusual message in dmesg as far as I can see:

zc0301: V4L2 driver for ZC0301[P] Image Processor and Control
Chip v1:1.10 usbcore: registered new interface driver zc0301
usbcore: deregistering interface driver zc0301
gspca: probing 041e:4036
zc3xx: probe 2wr ov vga 0x0000
zc3xx: probe sensor -> 11
zc3xx: Find Sensor HV7131R(c)
gspca: probe ok
usbcore: registered new interface driver zc3xx
zc3xx: registered

I can post the output of the gspcav1 module with debug=5 for the register writes/reads if that is interesting, or anything else
for that matter - I'd really like to keep this webcam working and
staying at kernel 2.6.25 is not an option.

is there a way to get the gspca_zc3xx driver dump register
read/writes? this would be a quick way to compare the two drivers
and look at the differences.

seems I just found the v4lcompat.so stuff, which (apart from being
a pain in the rear) makes the webcam work again...
This seems to be a very common error. IMO, we should write message
when loading a gspca that would require libv4l in order to work.

First, it is strange that mplayer does not work: the v4l2 interface
seems recognized, but why does it say:

	Current format: unknown (0x4745504a)

while this is JPEG and it knows well how to handle it?

Then, at probe time, there is:

	zc0301: V4L2 driver for ZC0301[P] Image Processor and Control

I pasted too much there, as you can see below I unloaded that driver:

 zc0301: V4L2 driver for ZC0301[P] Image Processor and Control
 Chip v1:1.10 usbcore: registered new interface driver zc0301
 usbcore: deregistering interface driver zc0301

This means that an other driver wants to handle the webcam. This may
raise problems.

Eventually, the v4l library is needed when using any v4l2 driver, not
only gspca. Hopefully, many popular applications now use it natively,
as vlc 0.9.x.

interesting, but I can't get vlc to understand either tv:// or /dev/video0... any hints?

Auke