Re: [RFC] How to pass camera Orientation to userspace

On Wed, 25 Feb 2009, Mauro Carvalho Chehab wrote:

On Tue, 24 Feb 2009 20:12:00 -0600 (CST)
kilgota@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

For sure we need to have a way for retrieving this information for devices
like the sq905 cameras, where the information can't be currently be
determined by userspace.

Yes, indeed. Except for just one word, "currently." It does not fit here.

Yes, it fits, since, after implementing the API, the userspace will have this
information by using the agreed API.

If so, IMO, the
better approach is to use a flag at the v4l2_input, as already discussed in
this thread.

OK.

As it seems to be a consensus that the better is to use a flag inside
v4l2_input, could you please provide us an RFC patch to implement it and update
the V4L2 spec?

With respect, I think that it would be better to consult with some of the other people who are most closely involved in the issue. This would include Jean-Francois (one obviously does not want to come up with some scheme which would interfere with other camera drivers, and he has a good overview on that) and Hans de Goede (v4l will use the new method) and Adam Baker. I will be happy to participate in discussions with them and work something up.

Thank you very much for helping to come to an apparent consensus about what kind of characteristics that the solution has to have. I appreciate your attention to the issue, and at this point I hope for a good and a fairly quick resolution.

Theodore Kilgore