Re: POLL: for/against dropping support for kernels < 2.6.22

On Sun, 22 Feb 2009, Hans Verkuil wrote:

Hi all,

There are lot's of discussions, but it can be hard sometimes to actually
determine someone's opinion.

So here is a quick poll, please reply either to the list or directly to me
with your yes/no answer and (optional but welcome) a short explanation to
your standpoint. It doesn't matter if you are a user or developer, I'd like
to see your opinion regardless.

Please DO NOT reply to the replies, I'll summarize the results in a week's
time and then we can discuss it further.

Should we drop support for kernels <2.6.22 in our v4l-dvb repository?

X _: Yes
_: No

Optional question:

Why:

After a certain point it becomes in practical terms impossible to support old versions of anything. There are too many dependencies on too many things that have to be changed all at once. The resulting problems do not pertain only to kernel-related development but to all development, as I have tried to make clear in other posts. I do not know the gory details of just what has become too difficult, as I am new to this area of kernel development, but I am quite willing, based upon a general description, and based upon other experience, to believe that there are problems.

I think it is obvious that a version cutoff has to be made somewhere, and seven minor versions behind the kernel which is about to come out does not at all appear to me to be an unreasonable restriction.