Re: Minimum kernel version supported by v4l-dvb

On Sat, 21 Feb 2009 13:45:40 +0100
Hans Verkuil <hverkuil@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > tda9840 support is provided by tda9840.ko, but there's no
> > request_module() or any other reference (except for the above comment) to
> > it at bttv driver. I believe that this is not an isolated case.
>
> The tda9840 is handled by tvaudio. Other than tda9875 and msp3400 all these
> audio variants are all handled by that module. tvaudio was developed at the
> time as a sort of 'catch-all' module and is currently only used by bttv.
>
> If you look at the code you'll se that tda9840.c can only be used with
> saa7146, ditto tea6420.c. So these give no conflicts.

Ok.

> > I suspect that there are other cases where no doc is provided on kernel
> > and the only source of information is provided by googling at the net or
> > by taking a look on each card at bttv-gallery to see what chips are
> > inside of each bttv board.
> >
> > So, at least for bttv, IMO, we should: do an i2c scan, on bttv driver,
> > for tvaudio and the other audio modules. If found, then we load the
> > proper driver.
> >
> > We'll still have another problem: There are conflicting addresses. For
> > example, address 0xb0 (8bit notation) is used on tvaudio for tda9874 and
> > on tda9875. I have no idea what boards need tvaudio and what boards need
> > tda9875 module. So, simply probing for 0xb0 won't be enough.
>
> Luckily the two chips can be told apart from one another. Suggestion: move
> the support for tda9874 from tvaudio.c to tda9875.c and let that one handle
> both. They are very similar and that shouldn't be difficult. That will
> solve this conflict in an elegant manner.
>
> I see one more conflict between msp3400 and tea6300. It should be possible
> to implement i2c detect support in msp3400 since that chip can detect what
> chip it is, and if no msp3400 is found after all we fall back to tvaudio.

Seems the better solution for me also.

> > During the conversion of bttv to V4L2, I've mapped the i2c addresses of
> > the audio modules I found at:
> >
> > 	linux/include/media/i2c-addr.h
> >
> > For cx88, the issue is simpler, since cx88 has its own audio decoder. I
> > dunno why some PV boards have a separate audio processor[1]. Anyway, for
> > cx88, we can add the autodetection code just for that device, and just
> > for tvaudio.
>
> Are you sure cx88 requires that tvaudio is loaded for some cards? There is
> no mention about tvaudio and cx88 anywhere, neither source nor
> documentation, nor google for that matter.

Yes, I'm sure. It were reported by one user at #v4l irc channel. I think some
emails were exchanged also (not sure if they were in priv or not). On that
time, I asked him to submit a patch creating a separate entry for that PV
variant, but he didn't. After some time, we lost contact with him.

> > This will be great, provided that we can do the autoprobing for the audio
> > modules as required by a few drivers like bttv.
>
> You cannot expect that a user can modprobe an i2c driver and it will
> magically appear. That's going away. You can change the driver so that it
> will load the module and let it probe for a series of i2c addresses. There
> is also an option to let the i2c driver do additional checks (Jean knows
> more about the details).

We need one solution. For sure it is better if the i2c adapter to do such probing.

Cheers,
Mauro