vbox cat's eye 3560 usb device

I’m trying to write a driver for the
device, just as a learning exercise. So far, I’ve got the firmware in intel hex
format (from usbsnoop on windows, then a couple perl scripts to mutate it) and
am able to use fxload to load it with –t fx2 and there are 2 separate files, a
short one (the loader) and the firmware proper; so in fxload I have a –s and a
–I.

I’m able to take it from cold to
warm that way solely within Linux.

The device itself has a cypress CY7C68013A fx2 chip and a large tin can tuner/demod stamped with
Thomson that has a sticker on it identifying it as 8601A. Helpfully, the 3560
opens up easily with the removal of two screws on the shell.

It’s cold boot usb id is 14f3:3560 and its warm boot is
14f3:a560.

I have taken that hex file and
created a binary file out of the 2nd file (-I in fxload speak). I
think, correct me if I’m wrong, there is already a fx2 loader available, thus I
will not need the loader file.

One of the stranger things I saw in
the usbsnoop trace in windows was when it came to reset of the CPUCS, the driver
sent down both a poke at x0e600 and a poke at 0x7f92. One is the fx CPUCS
register, I believe the other is a fx2 CPUCS register.

Currently I am mutating dibusb-mc
just to see if I can get it to the point of going from cold to warm in the
driver.

I have taken usb sniffs from windows
of doing things such as scanning for channels, watching a channel, etc. so I can
try to figure out if anything else in the v4l-dvb collection behaves
similarly.

I guess what I’m looking for is any
hints that might be useful to figuring this out.

Like I said, it’s a learning
exercise, I already have enough tuners, and anyway, the cost of buying a
supported tuner is far cheaper than the time needed to develop
this!

Thanks for any info! I’ve pretty
much devoured everything available on the wiki.

Amy