Re: Minimum kernel version supported by v4l-dvb

On Wednesday 18 February 2009 03:08:15 Mauro Carvalho Chehab wrote:
> On Wed, 18 Feb 2009 01:18:37 +0100
>
> Hans Verkuil <hverkuil@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Wednesday 18 February 2009 01:08:23 Mauro Carvalho Chehab wrote:

> > > In my case, I use RHEL 5.3 that comes with 2.6.18. I need at least to
> > > have compatibility until this version, otherwise it will be harder to
> > > me to test things, since most of the time I need to run RHEL 5
> > > kernel.
> > >
> > > I know that other developers also use RHEL 5 on their environments.
> >
> > Why should we have ugly and time consuming workarounds in our
> > repository that hamper progress just to allow you to run RHEL 5? I'm
> > sorry, that's no reason at all. I very much doubt other subsystem
> > maintainers are stuck on 2.6.18.
>
> The role idea of having compatibility code is to allow people to test
> with distro kernels. If we decide do exclude one of the major distro, I
> don't see why not dropping support for the other distros and older
> kernels. For sure removing all backports will make developers happy, but
> this will reduce the amount of users that can help with the development,
> testing the drivers and providing us patches.

99% (if not 100%) of that comes from the desktop area. We are bending over
backwards for the mythical enterprise user who cannot upgrade, must have
the latest drivers and wants it all for free. In the meantime we have
crummy code in the kernel only to support this mythical user, and new
developers starting to work with v4l are confused by the weird way i2c
drivers are setup.

> It would be much more easy to me to just drop all -hg trees with all
> backport and out-of-tree compilation and stuck with my -git trees, just
> like other sybsystem maintainers do, but I _do_ think that our community
> will suffer a lot with this. So, let's keep supporting at least the
> latest kernel version used by the major distros. So, for now, we should
> still keep support for 2.6.18.

It's not our job. It's the job of the distro companies to maintain their
code and drivers and backport newer ones if needed. That's what they are
paid for. I'm not paid for that, yet I still have to spend valuable time
doing this shit (excuse the language).

If people are so keen on it, then let them pay me.

> > And anyway, there is no way you can do proper testing against the new
> > i2c API on that old kernel. The loading and probing of i2c modules is
> > quite different, so that's never representative of what kernels >=
> > 2.6.22 do.
>
> I can assure you that I2C with v4l/dvb drivers work fine with 2.6.18. I
> use here with several drivers (uvc, bttv, saa7134, em28xx, ...).
>
> As a normal user, I use skype regularly the latest uvc driver + 2.6.18 on
> RHEL5.
>
> Of course, while developing, we should always test the drivers against
> the latest upstream tree, but this don't reduce the value of allowing
> normal users to use the latest drivers with their systems.

Normal v4l users use a desktop PC and can easily upgrade. Enterprise users
locked to an ancient kernel AND using v4l-dvb are NOT normal users. I've
just looked it up and apparently RHEL 6 isn't planned for another year. By
that time we're on 2.6.32/33 and maintaining compatibility for a whopping
15 kernels. Doesn't that strike you as ridiculous?

I might be wrong, but aren't you using RHEL 5 because you work for redhat
these days? Not a typical user at all.

Regards,

	Hans