Re: Minimum kernel version supported by v4l-dvb

On Tue, 17 Feb 2009 14:23:27 +0100
Jean Delvare <khali@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi Mauro,
>
> These days I am helping Hans Verkuil convert the last users of the
> legacy i2c device driver binding model to the new, standard binding
> model. It turns out to be a very complex task because the v4l-dvb
> repository is supposed to still support kernels as old as 2.6.16, while
> the initial support for the new i2c binding model was added in kernel
> 2.6.22 (and even that is somewhat different from what is upstream now.)
> This forces us to add quirks all around the place, which will surely
> result in bugs because the code becomes hard to read, understand and
> maintain.
>
> In fact, without this need for backwards compatibility, I would
> probably have been able to convert most of the drivers myself, without
> Hans' help, and this would already be all done. But as things stand
> today, he has to do most of the work, and our progress is slow.
>
> So I would like you to consider changing the minimum kernel version
> supported by the v4l-dvb repository from 2.6.16 to at least 2.6.22.
> Ideal for us would even be 2.6.26, but I would understand that this is
> too recent for you. Kernel 2.6.22 is one year and a half old, I
> honestly doubt that people fighting to get their brand new TV adapter
> to work are using anything older. As a matter of fact, kernel 2.6.22 is
> what openSUSE 10.3 has, and this is the oldest openSUSE product that is
> still maintained.
>
> I understand and respect your will to let a large range of users build
> the v4l-dvb repository, but at some point the cost for developers seems
> to be too high, so there's a balance to be found between users and
> developers. At the moment the balance isn't right IMHO.

In my case, I use RHEL 5.3 that comes with 2.6.18. I need at least to have
compatibility until this version, otherwise it will be harder to me to test
things, since most of the time I need to run RHEL 5 kernel.

I know that other developers also use RHEL 5 on their environments.

Cheers,
Mauro