Re: Sometimes no lock on digivox miniII (Ver3.0)

On Tue, 17 Feb 2009, Andreas Witte wrote:

Hello List,

after changing my system to newer hardware (and use the latest driver for
af9015), it
seems the device didnt get a lock sometimes (mostly in the case the system
is started up).
I use the stick together with mythtv. If i get the partial lock, i restart
mythbackend or
switch channel - then i get the lock. If i get it just the first time the
stick is working
fine for the whole day. Only the very first channelpick after system start
seems to be the
problem.

I cant reproduce this at all. Sometimes it works, sometimes not. Anybody
else seeing this?
Im on gentoo with 2.6.28 kernel.

Any Ideas?

Regards,
Andreas

I don't know anything about the af9015, what kind of device it is, what it is supposed to do, or who wrote the code, except that I just grepped the code for af9015, found it, and it is a USB device. So I am an outside observer. Here is my suspicion of what is wrong:

There was a rather nasty USB bug in 2.6.28 (no suffixes). It hit a lot of USB device drivers. The problem showed itself, pretty much, as you describe. I experienced it, too, with a couple of Gphoto camera drivers that I wrote which had been working ust fine for years and worked again just fine when I patched the kernel. So by extrapolation there is quite likely nothing wrong here, either. Probably, the best thing to do would be either to upgrade to 2.6.28.x or to downgrade to 2.6.27.x. If the problem goes away, good.

Theodore Kilgore