Re: Adding a control for Sensor Orientation

> kilgota@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>>

> <huge snip>
>
>> Therefore,
>>
>> 1. Everyone seems to agree that the kernel module itself is not going to
>> do things like rotate or flip data even if a given supported device
>> always needs that done.
>>
>> However, this decision has a consequence:
>>
>> 2. Therefore, the module must send the information about what is needed
>> out of the module, to whatever place is going to deal with it.
>> Information which is known to the module but unknown anywere else must
>> be transmitted somehow.
>>
>> Now there is a further consequence:
>>
>> 3. In view of (1) and (2) there has to be a way agreed upon for the
>> module to pass the relevant information onward.
>>
>> It is precisely on item 3 that we are stuck right now. There is an
>> immediate need, not a theoretical need but an immediate need. However,
>> there is no agreed-upon method or convention for communication.
>>

> We are no longer stuck here, the general agreement is adding 2 new buffer
> flags, one to indicate the driver knows the data in the buffer is
> vflipped and one for hflip. Then we can handle v-flipped, h-flipped and
> 180
> degrees cameras
>
> This is agreed up on, Trent is arguing we may need more flags in the
> future,
> but that is something for the future, all we need know is these 2 flags
> and
> Hans Verkuil who AFAIK was the only one objecting to doing this with
> buffer
> flags has agreed this is the best solution.

Well, I just posted an alternative solution this morning (Hans probably
hadn't read it yet) which I want to see discussed first. I think it is a
better solution than this. Basically combining the best of two worlds
IMHO.

We are talking about a core change, so some careful thought should go into
this.

> So Adam, kilgota, please ignore the rest of this thread and move forward
> with
> the driver, just add the necessary buffer flags to videodev2.h as part of
> your
> patch (It is usually to submit new API stuff with the same patch which
> introduces the first users of this API.

Don't ignore it yet :-)

Regards,

       Hans