Re: libv4l and HFLIP / VFLIP again

On Saturday 07 February 2009 18:15:24 Adam Baker wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Now that the SQ-905 driver has been accepted into the gspca tree it is
> time to consider how best to address passing the sensor orientation from
> the driver to libv4l.
>
> For this camera the approach taken so far of knowing what orientation is
> needed based on the USB ID won't work as there are variants of the camera
> with different sensor orientation but the same ID. The driver can detect
> this based on some initialisation messages but needs to tell libv4l.
>
> For SQ-905 the orientation will remain fixed but we know there exist
> cameras that provide some form of tilt switch to detect orientation so
> the adopted solution should be able to cope with those too.
>
> Olivier Lorin has proposed a solution to this problem that involves using
> 2 new bits in v4l2_buffer->flags and has offered a patch for libv4l to
> add support for the 180 degree rotation case.
>
> Does anyone have a suggestion for a better way to address this problem?
> If not I'll prepare a patch to add the flags to include/linux/videodev2.h
> and one to set them in sq905.c.

Well, since you ask :-)

I think doing this in the v4l2_buffer flags is not quite the right place.
Basically a high-level property (sensor orientation) is reported in a very
low-level flags field.

Personally I would prefer to see a SENSOR_ORIENTATION (or something similar)
read-only control that libv4l could read X seconds or so when capturing.
Besides, using v4l2_buffer will not work if you use the read() interface.
And as an end-user I am actually interested in seeing what the orientation
is.

Regards,

	Hans