Re: Bug in gspca USB webcam driver

On Mon, 2 Feb 2009, Adam Baker wrote:

On Monday 02 February 2009, Alan Stern wrote:
On Mon, 2 Feb 2009, Adam Baker wrote:
<snip>
To summarize: Unplugging the camera while it is in use by a program
causes an oops (particularly on an SMP machine).

The problem is that gspca_stream_off() calls destroy_urbs(), which in
turn calls usb_buffer_free() -- but this happens too late, after
gspca_disconnect() has returned.  By that time gspca_dev->dev is a
stale pointer, so it shouldn't be passed to usb_buffer_free().

By my reading it should be OK for gspca_disconnect to have returned as
long as video_unregister_device waits for the last close to complete
before calling gspca_release. I know that there were some patches a while
back that attempted to ensure that was the case so I suspect there is
still a hole there.

gspca_disconnect() should _not_ wait for the last close.  It should do
what it needs to do and return as quickly as possible.  This means
there must be two paths for releasing USB resources: release upon last
close and release upon disconnect.

I was being slightly imprecise in saying it waits, it uses the
device_register / unregister mechanism so it does effectively set a flag that
results in the release being called on last close. video_unregister_device
does use a mutex while updating some internal flags but as far as I can tell
the USB subsystem won't call gspca_disconnect in interrupt context so that
should be OK.

What I hadn't noticed before is that usb_buffer_free needs the usb device
pointer and as you say that is no longer valid after gspca_disconnect returns
even if gspca_release hasn't freed the rest of the gspca struct. If that is
the problem then I presume the correct behaviour is for gspca_disconnect to
ensure that all URBs are killed and freed before gspca_disconnect returns.
This shouldn't be a problem for sq905 (which doesn't use these URBs) or
isochronous cameras (which don't need to resubmit URBs) but the finepix
driver (the other supported bulk device) will need some careful consideration
to avoid a race between killing the URB and resubmitting it.

Theodore, could you check if adding a call to destroy_urbs() in
gspca_disconnect fixes the crash. (destroy_urbs only frees non NULL urb
pointers so should be safe to call from both disconnect and stream_off,
whichever occurs first).

Yes, this seems to help a great deal. I have tried it at this point on both machines. Now we have

void gspca_disconnect(struct usb_interface *intf)
{
        struct gspca_dev *gspca_dev = usb_get_intfdata(intf);

        gspca_dev->present = 0;
        destroy_urbs(gspca_dev);

        usb_set_intfdata(intf, NULL);

        /* release the device */
        /* (this will call gspca_release() immediatly or on last close) */
        video_unregister_device(&gspca_dev->vdev);

        PDEBUG(D_PROBE, "disconnect complete");
}

and the results are as follows:

The Pentium 4 Dual Core:
No visible problems, no error messages. I pulled the cord and then in a very leisurely way killed the window. New on this machine and the other one, too, is the very desirable side effect that svv can be killed by clicking the x on the window which used not to work! Then dmesg (with gspca_main in debug mode, too) has many times gspca:dqbuf (obvious: I had not yet closed the window). After that come, in the order that they are listed,

kill transfer
stream off OK
svv close
frame free
close done
device released

(all of these preceded by "gspca:")

So this all looks very nice.

The Athlon K8 dual core:

Not so excellent, but still not bad. The experiment has been simiilarly conducted, as before. The output of dmesg says pretty much the same thing. The difference is, lots of repetitions of an error message in the xterm which says

libv4l2: error dequeuing buf: Resource temporarily unavailable

This could of course result from libv4l2 and not from the modules. I feel pretty sure that I am not running the same version on both machines. The one on the Pentium 4 is quite likely to be newer than what is on the Athlon box.

It seems to me that with this we are much better on the way.

Theodore Kilgore