Re: KWorld ATSC 115 all static

On Thu, 29 Jan 2009 18:44:44 -0500
CityK <cityk@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> CityK wrote:
> > Hans Verkuil wrote:
> >
> >> I've made a new tree http://linuxtv.org/hg/~hverkuil/v4l-dvb-kworld/
> >> that calls 'enables the tuner' before loading the module. See if that
> >> works.

> >> I suspect that this might fix the bug.
> >>

> > Hans,
> >
> > ...  it works !!
>
> I may have found a problem (tvtime works perfectly; other analogue apps
> like xawtv/motv, kdetv ... are not working properly now -- you can do a
> channel scan with them and everything_appears_to work as expected (i.e.
> channels are found and are displayed/played correctly during the scan),
> BUT as soon as you actually go to use the app, it does not work
> (static).  It appears that the issue is related to dga and Xv (as
> passing the -nodga -noxv options with xawtv/motv actually works ...
> kdetv is hit and miss -- sometimes the v4l1 mode works, other times it
> doesn't (likely a pattern there but haven't found it yet), but v4l2
> plugin does NOT work at all (static)).  In addition, the nvidia driver
> is NOT the source of the error, as the same occurs under the nv driver
> as well.

I've seen this issue happening with nvidia proprietary driver, on an old
machine I had. the open source nv driver were better (e.g. the bug were much
less frequent than with the proprietary one). This kind of trouble is not
related to the kernel driver.

> Will have to do another test to confirm whether this error was
> introduced in the KWorld repo.  Consequently:
>
> > Mauro Carvalho Chehab wrote:

> >> Yes. We need to fix it asap, to avoid regressions. It is time to review also
> >> the other codes that are touching on i2c gates at _init2().
> >>

> > Thoughts on merging the changes from Hans' KWorld repo?
>
> If there were any thoughts on this, please put them on hold until I can
> test further.

Ok. FYI, I've committed that changeset I've proposed. Could you please confirm
that the driver is working with the v4l-dvb tree.

Cheers,
Mauro