Re: KWorld ATSC 115 all static

On Sun, 25 Jan 2009 18:35:17 -0500
CityK <cityk@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> hermann pitton wrote:

> >> The tda9887 is a simple device with just three registers.  If they are set
> >> to the right value when the driver loads, which wouldn't be unexpected,
> >> then it isn't necessary to actually do anything to the chip.  If you had a
> >> multistandard tuner (and had access to broadcasts in multiple standards!)
> >> then I expect switching standards wouldn't work without the tda9887 driver.
> >> Verifying both TV and radio tuning works is probably the most realistic way
> >> to check.
> >>

> > For radio you need a tda9887 and working i2c for what i can know.
> >
> > Also after a cold boot the tda988x is not in a usable state for any tv
> > standard yet, it needs to be set by i2c first.
> >
> > But for NTSC, and only NTSC, one pin can be strapped, IIRC, and then it
> > works without any i2c programming needed. Guess it is a tda9885 here.
> >

> Looks like that this is the case, as described by Trent, that is
> occurring. Herman, is there any difference between the tda9885 and
> tda887, as I'm pretty sure this is the tda9887 package outlined on page
> 52 of the tda9887 datasheet.
>
> Alas, as being exposed to just NTSC broadcasts, not able to test on the
> multistandard ;)
>
> As for the FM radio, I know that some have mentioned the possibility for
> that with this device, but I don't think anyone ever has succeeded (not
> surprising given the i2c situation) and so the assumption was made,
> rightly or wrongly, that it is not present. I would be amused if FM
> radio support could be realised for the device.

> >> Address 0xc2 is the PLL, not the NXT2004.  Why would the PLL control an I2C
> >> gate on the nxt2004?  I think what I said before about a gpio line on the
> >> PLL being used to hold the analog demod in reset when not in use is more
> >> likely to be correct.

I've seen i2c switches on a few different places:
	on bridge driver gpio's;
	on demod's gpio's;
	on tda9887 gpio's;
	on tuner/PLL gpio's.

In the case of tuner/PLL gpio's, you'll see some i2c switch magic inside tuner-core, like this one:
        case TUNER_PHILIPS_FMD1216ME_MK3:
                buffer[0] = 0x0b;
                buffer[1] = 0xdc;
                buffer[2] = 0x9c;
                buffer[3] = 0x60;
                i2c_master_send(c, buffer, 4);
                mdelay(1);
                buffer[2] = 0x86;
                buffer[3] = 0x54;
                i2c_master_send(c, buffer, 4);

I'm not sure what would be the better way to address all those kind of i2c
switches. Maybe we should add a field at device struct specifying what i2c
device contains the i2c bridge, in order to initialize it first.

Cheers,
Mauro