Re: [linux-dvb] Cross-posting linux-media, linux-dvb etc

Devin Heitmueller wrote:
People "in favor" of the lists being merged
118 Patrick Boettcher
205 Hans Verkuil
38 Mike Isely
196 Devin Heitmueller
"hundreds" Mauro Carvalho Chehab

People "against" of the lists being merged
2 Lars Hanisch
17 user.vdr
16 Klaus Schmidinger
2 Bob Cunningham
10 Tomas Drajsajtl
17 Ales Jurik

Just for the records: I'm "in favor" of the merge, not against... Or have I missunderstood the post I replied to? Never mind. :)

Yup, it's the developers who are posting on a regular basis who feel
the pain of the two different lists.  It's the people who are actively
replying to issues, dealing with problems, and trying to keep track of
it all who want the lists merged.  That said, I personally don't feel
any guilt in inconveniencing a few users who are not contributing if
it makes it easier for the people who contribute to the list on a
daily basis.

I'm a "user-only" of my PVR150/350 since about 2 years and I read these lists (ivtv-devel, ivtv-users, video4linux, and now linux-media) because I want to stay in touch with the really good work you developers are doing (also a "Thank you" from my wife, who loves our VDR). And I want to know when some of the issues I encounter are solved, so I can update my kernel. Sadly I haven't the time to invest my development-knowledge into linux-driver-development (my daily work is application-development, and yes, it's windows, shame on me ;-)). So, if the lists get merged or not, I still will be reading them. I just want to give a view from a passive reader. And from that point of view a merge would be fine... But I agree that the main developers should be the ones that have the final stay on this.

Lars.