Re: [PULL] http://linuxtv.org/hg/~mcisely/pvrusb2

On Wed, 14 Jan 2009 10:44:38 -0600 (CST)
Mike Isely <isely@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Mauro:
>
> If you still don't like this specific changeset, then OK, but I'd still
> appreciate it if you could pull the other changes (especially the
> v4l2_subdev fix).

While discussing the serial number patch, I've picked the other ones.

> On Wed, 14 Jan 2009, Mike Isely wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 14 Jan 2009, Mauro Carvalho Chehab wrote:
> >
> >    [...]
> >

> > > I can see some troubles here:
> > >
> > > 1) The bus info helps to identify the place where you'll find the
> > > device info at sysfs;
> > >
> > > 2) This is a V4L2 API non-compliance. All drivers should be compliant
> > > with the API;
> > >
> > > 3) If we all agree that bus_info doesn't matter at all and decide to
> > > change V4L2 API, we'll still have a big trouble: most devices don't
> > > have a serial number.
> > >
> > > The other patches are ok.
> >
> > I was asked to make this change, because otherwise there's no means via
> > the V4L interface to uniquely REPEATABLY be able to identify the same
> > device each time it is plugged in.  I have gotten complaints about this.
> > I actually pointed out that bus_info was about the "where" not the
> > "what" of the device, but I was convinced to change this - after being
> > surprised that the V4L spec allowed for this.  Look at the online v4l
> > spec; the following description exists about bus_info (as part of the
> > VIDIOC_QUERYCAP description):

Interesting... Yet, IMO, we should be more strict about bus_info. This can be
used as a way to associate a /dev/<device> with their sysfs entry.

> And I'd appreciate some suggestions from anyone about a means via the
> V4L interface to make available a device-specific identifier, like a
> serial number.  Yes I know such a thing is not always available with all
> devices, but it is available for Hauppauge devices in general and users
> want to have access to that information for purposes of mapping behavior
> in userspace.

Sorry, but I didn't understand the need. What do you want to map in userspace?
Except for debugging purposes, or when the user has more than one device
connected, I can't see any other usage for such identifier.

For debug, you can just print the serial number. For device unique
identification, there are the sysfs stuff, used by udev.

Am I missing something?

Cheers,
Mauro