Re: saa7134: race between device initialization and first interrupt

Hi,

Am Sonntag, den 11.01.2009, 20:22 -0500 schrieb Andy Walls:

> > So "dev->input" is NULL when saa7134-tvaudio.c:mute_input_7133() is
> > called and that is what causes the Oops.  It was called by the
> > saa7134_irq() handler trying to take action, shortly after request_irq()
> > was called.  Can you think of why this would happen?
> >
> Hermann,
>
> I just looked at request_irq() on my Fedora 7
>

> int request_irq(unsigned int irq, irq_handler_t handler,
>                 unsigned long irqflags, const char *devname, void *dev_id)
> {
> [...]
> #ifdef CONFIG_DEBUG_SHIRQ
>         if (irqflags & IRQF_SHARED) {
>                 /*
>                  * It's a shared IRQ -- the driver ought to be prepared for it
>                  * to happen immediately, so let's make sure....
>                  * We do this before actually registering it, to make sure that
>                  * a 'real' IRQ doesn't run in parallel with our fake
>                  */
>                 unsigned long flags;
>
>                 local_irq_save(flags);
>                 handler(irq, dev_id);
>                 local_irq_restore(flags);
>         }
> #endif
> [...]
>
> Maybe the kernels with the reported oops were built with
> CONFIG_DEBUG_SHIRQ set, which will call the saa7134_irq() handler
> immediately.  CONFIG_DEBUG_SHIRQ is obviously intended to "smoke out"
> device driver irq handlers that could experience an intermittent oops
> with shared irqs.
>
> Maybe you could enable this in you kernel and reproduce the Ooops?

only on the 2.6.27.2 on the amd quad this was not enabled.

The Fedora 8 and Fedora 10 kernels do have it enabled and it seems to
make no difference and the old 2.6.22 i did not check yet.

I'll send configs and other info of all 4 machines I can test on off
list. Maybe there are ideas for stress tests to hit the supposed race.

Cheers,
Hermann