Re: [patch] add video_nr module param to gspca

Hi.

Jean-Francois Moine wrote:
Looking at the video drivers, I found that only half of these ones have
this parameter. Then, I think it should be better to remove it
everywhere!
OK, that might be a solution too. :)

In fact, setting the video number in the right driver before plugging
any video device is rather complicated while setting udev rules is easy
and has to be done only once...
No, its not like that. You only add the
strings like
options gspca video_nr=1
in your /etc/modprobe.conf, and you are
done. ALSA went even further and introduced
the option "order", so that you write:
options snd order=snd-intel8x0,snd-hda-intel
for example. So, from some point of view, this
is actually easier than the udev solution
(eg. I always did that and never played with
udev :), but indeed, having two ways of doing
the same thing is usually confusing, so I am
not trying to talk you into applying my patch. :)
If there is an intention to deprecate the "video_nr"
thing, then it certainly doesn't apply.