Re: "patches can be modified..."

On Thu, 1 Jan 2009 12:52:09 +0100 (CET)
Guennadi Liakhovetski <g.liakhovetski@xxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> everyone who has once got his or her patch committed to v4l received an
> auto-reply
>
> From: Patch added by Xxxxx Xxxxx <hg-commit@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> To: linuxtv-commits@xxxxxxxxxxx
>
> with a comment:

(text moved to the end, to make easier for me to comment)

> What does this mean? Does the last sentence refer to "patches may be
> modified" or to "patch was added"? And why should objections against
> either of them be sent to the maintainer instead of being discussed on the
> list? Don't understand. Does it mean that if a specific author has
> objections, the respective driver can be left off from the
> backwards-compatibility conversions?

This message is there to advice that:

> <quote>
> The patch number NNNN was added via name <user@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
> to http://linuxtv.org/hg/v4l-dvb master development tree.

1) The patch were accepted by the maintainer and are at the tree for testing purposes;

> Kernel patches in this development tree may be modified to be backward
> compatible with older kernels. Compatibility modifications will be
> removed before inclusion into the mainstream Kernel

2) on a few cases where:
  a) the patch was generated against -git tree and needs some compat code to
    compile on -hg, or
  b) the patch adds some compat code
This warns that the compat code will be removed by ./v4l/scripts/gentree.pl
script when generating the -git patch;

> If anyone has any objections, please let us know by sending a message to:
> 	v4l-dvb-maintainer@xxxxxxxxxxx
> </quote>

3) People may review the patch (since the -hg tree is just a staging tree).

Btw, the email need to change, since it should use
	Linux Media Mailing List <linux-media@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Instead of the previous one.

Cheers,
Mauro