Re: arch_prctl()

Hi Elliott,

On Thu, Aug 22, 2024 at 12:18:21PM GMT, enh wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 22, 2024 at 10:05 AM H.J. Lu <hjl.tools@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Thu, Aug 22, 2024 at 5:21 AM Adhemerval Zanella Netto
> > <adhemerval.zanella@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > Although we do use __transparent_union__ we have to still handle very old
> > > compilers:
> >
> > We can hide the prototype for the older compilers.  Softwares need to
> > deal with the missing prototype anyway.
>
> (avoiding source incompatibility via mismatching declarations is
> perhaps a reason to just go with the kernel signature, since that's
> what the folks i've seen `extern` this function themselves seem to
> use...)

I'd rather add a diagnostic for those who define it themselves now,
than providing a sub-par prototype for eternity.  I guess the existing
number of users is small, and it doesn't break binaries, just
compilation.

Those will probably just need to add an ifdef for the glibc version that
added the prototype, so it's an easy fix.

But I tend to value more eternity than added diagnostics, and others may
disagree with that, so whatever you decide is probably good, and I'll
document it.  :)

Have a lovely day!
Alex

--