Re: [tz] manual pages in tzdb

On 2024-05-08 20:36, Philip Paeps wrote:
Thinking out loud: would it make sense to rename the files in the Git repository, but keep the tarballs flat?  I suspect most downstreams consume the tarballs rather than the Git repository.

You may be right. My impression is that some people do it either way. There would be some pain in the long run if the two methods put files in different places.

We could arrange for the tarballs to contain two hard links or copies of the renamed files, one with the old name and one with the new.

All in all, though, I'm inclined to think that if we're going to rename the files, we should just do it. The backward compatibility concerns are less with documentation location than with data or code.