Re: elf(5) and ld.so(8): DT_RPATH deprecated - really?

On Mon, Apr 22, 2024 at 04:22:13PM +0000, Joseph Myers wrote:
> On Mon, 22 Apr 2024, Alejandro Colomar wrote:
>
> > Nobody said it would be removed soon.  But it seems people want to
> > remove it "eventually", with that eventually possibly being in a couple
> > of centuries, if computers still exist.
> >
> > But if you have the intention of using it in new software, or keeping it
> > in existing software, maybe you could give your reasons to those who
> > deprecated it, so that either you convince them of its usefulness, or
> > they convince you of not using it.
>
> DT_RPATH is just as useful as it always was for testing purposes, when
> you're building binaries against a sysroot and use -rpath and
> -dynamic-linker pointing to that sysroot, and you really do want the RPATH
> used at runtime to find both direct and indirect dependencies and
> DT_RUNPATH would *not* serve the same purpose (because the sysroot is
> intended to have exactly the same binaries that would eventually be used
> in the root filesystem of the target in production, it would not be
> appropriate to set DT_RUNPATH in any of those binaries).

Hi Joseph!

Then I guess we must undeprecate it.  I'm fine with that, as long as the
maintainers of ld(1) agree.  Joachim, would you mind sending a patch,
and CC binutils?  I'll leave it a week or two to gather reviews, and if
nobody opposes, I'll merge it.  I can also prepare the patch, if you
prefer.

Have a lovely day!
Alex

--