Re: Linux man-pages PDF book

Hi Alex,

Wow, I'm envious.  For you, lore let those gigantic attachments through.

At 2024-04-14T21:55:00+0200, Alejandro Colomar wrote:
> I forgot to mention that while I can't reproduce the performance
> regression, I see a regression in the navigation panel.  When using
> groff.git HEAD's an.tmac, the navigation panel doesn't allow
> collapsing an entire chapter, while the Linux man-pages fork of it
> does allow.  Both PDF books are attached to this message.

I see what you mean.

One bet is that I messed something up here and Deri's first or second
hypothesis will be correct.

Here's mine.

You might need to set a register I added in this commit.

commit 5fbc22d022c07f517bc83aa9b8c97ea5536efd18
Author: G. Branden Robinson <g.branden.robinson@xxxxxxxxx>
Date:   Sun Mar 3 23:57:38 2024 -0600

    [man]: Add `an*bookmark-base-level` register.

    * tmac/an.tmac: Add experimental feature to support increasing the base
      level of PDF bookmarks.  Define register `an*bookmark-base-level`,
      initialized to zero.

      (PT): Add 1 to it when producing document bookmark.

      (SH): Add 2 to it when producing section heading bookmark.

      (SS): Add 3 to it when producing subsection heading bookmark.

I don't know what you're using to produce the chapter headings in the
navigation panel, but that likely needs to be at level 0 (or 1,
depending on the convention the PDF spec uses).

I added the foregoing feature because it was obvious to me that someone
might want to incorporate a man page collection into a larger work.

I admit I didn't think of the chapter organization application.

So you'd likely do something like this when building with groff Git
HEAD.

  '-r an*bookmark-base-level=1'

Let me know if that works out.

The foregoing is not documented because it needs field testing.  Now
maybe it will get some.

> > $ time make build-pdf-book 2>/dev/null
> > GROPDF		.tmp/man-pages-6.7-53-g5125d867d.pdf
> >
> > real	0m13.307s
> > user	0m16.229s
> > sys	0m0.481s
> >
> > $ time make build-pdf-book 2>/dev/null
> > GROPDF		.tmp/man-pages-6.7-53-g5125d867d-dirty.pdf
> >
> > real	0m13.564s
> > user	0m17.060s
> > sys	0m0.510s
> >
> > (I've built all the dependencies before hand, so that only the PDF
> > is built in these invocations.)
> > (The -dirty one uses -man.)

This is very good news.

Regards,