man page style conventions

Hello,

In the man-pages(7) document, as rendered at:
http://www.alejandro-colomar.es/share/dist/man-pages/git/HEAD/man-pages-HEAD.pdf#man-pages.7

under the section heading "FORMATTING AND WORDING CONVENTIONS", and
subsection "Formatting conventions (general)", close to the bottom of
page 9, I see:

> Any reference to another man page should be written with the name in
> bold, always followed by the section number, formatted in Roman
> (normal) font, without any separating spaces (e.g., intro(2)). The
> preferred way to write this in the source file is:
>
>    .BR intro (2)

I have noticed that, as of groff-1.23, both groff_man(7), and the macro
package which it documents, flagrantly ignore, and indeed violate this
convention.  I further notice that man-pages(7) document, from which I
have quoted, above, appears to have been formatted using that very
version of groff_man(7), perhaps with the intro(2) reference, within the
quoted paragraph, having been formatted using:

   .MR intro 2

rather than the recommended:

   .BR intro (2)

This leads to a glaring anomaly, within the quoted paragraph; rather
than the topic name "intro" being set in bold, as the convention
demands, it is set in (non-bold) italics!

In my personal opinion, FWIW, the use of italics in this context is just
plain ugly.  Opinion aside, it does not conform to the convention, as it
is stated in man-pages(7) -- either the convention needs to be changed,
by common consent, or groff_man(7) needs to be brought to heel.

--
Regards,
Keith.