Re: FWD: lijh8@xxxxxx: about operator(7) precedence

On Fri, Jan 19, 2024 at 10:50:19PM +0100, Alejandro Colomar wrote:
> ----- Forwarded message from lijh8 <lijh8@xxxxxx> -----
>
> Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2024 05:20:40 +0800
> From: lijh8 <lijh8@xxxxxx>
> To: alx <alx@xxxxxxxxxx>
> Cc: linux-man <linux-man@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: about operator(7) precedence

I'll reorder your mail, for a better reply.

> What's the reason, is the C language changed?

The C language specifies operators in 6.5 (Expressions).
<http://port70.net/~nsz/c/c11/n1570.html#6.5>

There, there's a note, 85, that says that

	The syntax specifies the precedence of operators in the
	evaluation of an expression, which is the same as the order of
	the major subclauses of this subclause, highest precedence first.
<http://port70.net/~nsz/c/c11/n1570.html#note85>

Postfix ++ and -- are described in 6.5.2.4, that is, in the second group
of operators, sorted by precedence (the first is _Generic(), which isn't
documented in the manual pages).
<http://port70.net/~nsz/c/c11/n1570.html#6.5.2.4>

Prefix ++ and -- are described in 6.5.3.1, that is, in the third group
of operators, sorted by precedence.
<http://port70.net/~nsz/c/c11/n1570.html#6.5.3.1>

> Why on linux, postfix and prefix are divided into two different
> precedences?

The Linux manual page is correct, closely following what ISO C says (I
showed C11, but I'm sure that all other versions of ISO C have the same
precedence rules).

> Hi, on macOS (and maybe freeBSD), postfix and prefix ++ -- are the same
> precedence and can be distinguished by associativities.

Since x--++ is not legal, because x-- is not an lvalue, there's probably
no real difference in the two different models of the same reality.

However, pedantically, the macOS manual page is lying.  I've checked,
and the FreeBSD and OpenBSD manual pages also lie about this.

<https://man.openbsd.org/operator.7>
<https://man.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=operator&manpath=FreeBSD+14.0-RELEASE+and+Ports>

Have a lovely day,
Alex