Recommendation for Adjusting Command Categorization in Manual Pages

Hi! I hope this message finds you well.

We have identified an issue in the categorization
of certain commands in the man-pages and would like
to bring it to your attention.

Upon testing on Debian 11, we observed discrepancies
between the stated privilege requirements in the manual
pages and the actual behavior of some commands.

According to the introduction pages, commands in section
8 require superuser privileges to run, but we found some
commands that do not necessitate superuser privileges for
execution:
lnstat, findfs, blkid, lsblk, lsmod, lspci, modinfo,
isosize, lastlog, tzselect, zdump, getcap, getpcaps,
mklost_found, tracepath.

These commands predominantly query system information and
do not involve sensitive resources.
For example, lnstat print Linux network statistics, the
statics comes from /proc/net/stat which could be read by
anyone. Lastlog reports the most recent login users, the
similar commands like last, printky and users are all in
section 1. And it is clearly stated in tracepath(8) that
the command does not require superuser privileges.

The introduction of section 1 claims that those commands
to be user commands, but some commands require superuser
privileges to run:
dumpkeys, fgconsole, kbdindo, kbd_mode, showkey,
deallocvt, tcpdump, chage, gpasswd, mesg, mkfifo.

These commands manipulate special resources like keyboards,
virtual terminals and pipes. Notably, tcpdump exists in both
Section 1 and Section 8, but it can only be used with privileges.

To enhance clarity and align with the intended privilege
requirements, we recommend adjusting the categorization of these
commands. This adjustment will ensure that users referring to
the manual pages can accurately configure command permissions
without unnecessary use of privileges and contribute to a more
intuitive and accurate manual page structure.

Best regards,
Jingzi