Online PDF of the Linux man-pages @ git HEAD

Hi,

I've set up a githooks(5) to generate a PDF book, running the script
contributed by gropdf(1)'s Deri James from within the hook, every time I
`git push` the main branch to my server.

You can find the book here:

<https://www.alejandro-colomar.es/share/dist/man-pages/git/HEAD/man-pages-HEAD.pdf>

The pages there don't have a "last modified" date, nor a version.  They
are pristine from git HEAD, so they contain the "(date)" and
"Linux man-pages (unreleased)" placeholders.  The file is suffixed -HEAD
to indicate that it is the state of git HEAD (or was, when downloaded;
if you don't remove it soon without renaming, then you're on your own).

I'm not sure if I should fill the placeholders with the date and
version, by running `make dist`, and then generating the book from the
generated tarball.  Since that's more work for the server, I didn't do
it, but it probably shouldn't be much work, since `make dist` reuses
files (which would have the effect that each page would show a different
version, at the last commit that modified the page).  For a HEAD PDF, I
don't think that's problematic.  If anyone would be interested in that,
feel free to ask for it.

The name of the file is -HEAD, and not -<version>, to have a more stable
URI.  I don't think we should be changing the URI for every commit.  Any
opinions?

In case anyone is curious, here's how:

	$ cat hooks/post-update
	#!/bin/sh

	test "$1" = "refs/heads/main" || exit 0;

	cd /srv/src/alx/linux/man-pages/man-pages/;

	unset $(git rev-parse --local-env-vars);
	git fetch srv			>/dev/null;
	git reset srv/main --hard	>/dev/null;

	sh <<__EOF__ &
		</dev/null \
		scripts/LinuxManBook/build.sh 2>/dev/null \
		| sponge /srv/www/share/dist/man-pages/git/HEAD/man-pages-HEAD.pdf \
		>/dev/null 2>&1
	__EOF__

BTW, I'm having trouble making git(1) not wait for it to finish, so if
you have any ideas, they're welcome!

Cheers,
Alex

--