Re: strncpy clarify result may not be null terminated

Hi Jonny,

On Sun, Nov 12, 2023 at 09:52:20AM +0000, Jonny Grant wrote:
[... some micro-benchmarks...]

> Maybe we're gonna need a bigger benchmark.

Not really.

> Probably there existing studies. Or could patch something like SQLite
> Benchmark to utilise each string function just for measurements.
> Hopefully it moves around at least 2GB of strings to give some
> meaningful comparison timings.

I wasn't so interested in the small differences between functions.
What this micro-benchmark showed clearly, without needing much more info
to be conclusive, is the first order of growth of each of the functions:

-  strlcpy(3)'s first order growth corresponds to strlen(src).  That's
   due to returning strlen(src), which proves to be a poor API.

-  strncpy(3)'s first order growth corresponds to sizeof(dst).  That's
   of course due to the zeroing.  If sizeof(dst) is kept very small, you
   could live with it.  When the size grows to more or less 4 KiB, this
   drag becomes meaningful.

-  strnlen(3)+*cpy() first order growth corresponds to
   strnlen(src, sizeof(dst)), which is the fastest order of growth
   you can get from a truncating string-copying function (except if you
   keep track of your slen manually and call directly memcpy(3)).

Of course, first order of growth ignores second order of growth and so
on, which for small inputs can be important.  That is, O(x^3) is bigger
than O(x^2), but x3 + x2 can be smaller than 5*x2 for small x.

> As Paul mentioned, strlcpy is a poor choice for processing strings.\
> Could rely on their guidance as they already measured.
> https://www.gnu.org/software/libc/manual/html_node/Truncating-Strings.html

Indeed.  I've added important notices in BUGS about it, and recommended
against.

> Maybe the strlcpy API is easier, safer for programmers; but the
> compiler can't figure out that the programmer already knew src string
> length.  So the strlcpy does a strlen() and wastes time reading over
> memory.  If the src length is known, can just memcpy.

I've written strtcpy(3) as an alternative to strlcpy(3) that doesn't
suffer its problems.  It should be even safer and easier to use, and its
first order of growth is better.  I'll send a patch for review in a
moment.

> When I've benchmarked things, reducing the memory accesses for read,
> write boosted performance, also looked at the cycles taken, of course
> cache and alignment all play a part too.

If one wants to micro-optimize for their use case, its none of my
business.  I provide a function that should be safe and relatively fast
for all use cases, which libc doesn't.

> Maybe could suggest in your man page programmers should keep track of
> the src size ? - to save the cost of the strlen().

No.  Optimizations are not my business.  Writing good APIs should make
these optimizations low value so that they aren't done, except for the
most performance-critical programs.

The problem comes when libc doesn't provide anything usable, and the
user has no guidance on where to start.  Then, programmers start being
clever, usually too clever.  That's why I think the man-pages should go
ahead and write wrapper functions such as strtcpy() and stpecpy()
aound libc functions; these wrappers should provide a fast and safe
starting point for most programs.

It's true that memcpy(3) is the fastest function one can use, but it
requires the programmer to be rather careful with the lengths of the
strings.  I don't think keeping track of all those little details is
what the common programmer should do.

> At least the strlen functions are optimized:
> glibc/strnlen.c calls memchr() searching for '\0' memchr searches 4 bytes at a time.
> glibc/strlen.c searches 4 bytes at a time.
>
> glibc/strlcpy.c __strlcpy() is there a reason when truncating it overwrites the last byte, twice?
>
> memcpy (dest, src, size);
> dest[size - 1] = '\0';

-1's in the source code make up for off-by-one bugs.  APIs should be
written so that common use doesn't involve manually writing -1 if
possible.

I acknowledge the performance benefits of this construction, and have
used it myself in NGINX code, but I also find it very dangerous, which
is why I recommend using a wrapper over it:

	char *
	ustr2stp(char *restrict dst, const char *restrict src, size_t len)
	{
		char  *p;

		p = mempcpy(dst, src, len);

		return p;