Re: strncpy clarify result may not be null terminated

Hi Oskari,

On Fri, Nov 10, 2023 at 01:06:44AM -0600, Oskari Pirhonen wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 09, 2023 at 13:23:14 +0100, Alejandro Colomar wrote:
> > Don't worry.  strncpy(3) won't be deprecated, thanks to tar(1).  ;)
> >

> Just please don't tar and feather [1] the people who use it ;)

Hmmm, it just caught me after a year fixing broken strncpy(3) calls.  I
was a bit unfair.  I'm sorry if I wasn't so nice.  Hopefully, we've all
learnt something about string-copying functions.  :)

> > We could maybe add a list of ways people have tried to be clever with
> > strncpy(3) in the past and failed, and then explain why those uses are
> > broken.  This could be in a BUGS section.
> >

> This would be a very fun read.

I'll write it then!  :D

> ... snip ...

> > > So will all the custom strlen(3)+memcpy(3)-based replacements suddenly be
> > > immune to off-by-one bugs?
> >
> > Slightly.  Here's the typical use of strlen(3)+strcpy(3):
> >
> > if (strlen(src) >= dsize)
> > 	goto error;
> > strcpy(dst, src);
> >
> > There's no +1 or -1 in that code, so it's hard to make an off-by-one
> > mistake.  Okay, you may have seen that it has a '>=', which one could
> > accidentally replace by a '>', causing an off-by-one.  I'd wrap that
> > thing in a strxcpy() wrapper so you avoid repetition.
> >

> Might I go so far as to recommend strnlen(3) instead of strlen(3)? That
> way, instead of blindly looking for a null terminator, you stop after a
> predetermined max length. Especially nice for untrusted input where you
> can't make assumptions on the "fitness for a purpose" of what's being
> fed in.
>
>     if (src == NULL || strnlen(src, dsize) == dsize)
>         goto error;
>     strcpy(dst, src);

A NULL check shouldn't be necessary (no other copying functions have,
and that's not a big deal with them, although I have mixed feelings
about things like memcpy(dst, NULL, 0)).

About strnlen(3), you're right, and Paul also pointed that out.  See the
other mail I sent to the list with an inline implementation of strxcpy()
using strnlen(3).

> This, of course, assumes you have POSIX at your disposal.

I always assume this.  If not, please ask your vendor to provide a POSIX
layer.  Or at least the parts of POSIX that can be implemented in a
free-standing implementation.  Or stop using that vendor.

> I'm writing this before going to bed. I did briefly sanity check it with
> a simple test prog, but it would be quite ironic if I missed something
> wouldn't it...

Looks good at first glance.  :)

Cheers,
Alex