Re: strncpy clarify result may not be null terminated

On 10/11/2023 05:36, Paul Eggert wrote:
> On 2023-11-09 15:48, Alejandro Colomar wrote:
>> I'd then just use strlen(3)+strcpy(3), avoiding
>> strncpy(3).
>
> But that is vulnerable to the same denial-of-service attack that strlcpy is vulnerable to. You'd need strnlen+strcpy instead.
>
> The strncpy approach I suggested is simpler, and (though this doesn't matter much in practice) is typically significantly faster than strnlen+strcpy in the typical case where the destination is a small fixed-size buffer.
>
> Although strncpy is not a good design, it's often simpler or faster or safer than later "improvements".

As you say, it is a known API. I recall looking for a standardized bounded string copy a few years ago that avoids pitfalls:

1) cost of any initial strnlen() reading memory to determine input src size
2) accepts a src_max_size to actually try to copy from src
3) does not truncate by writing anything to the buffer if there isn't enough space in the dest_max_size to fit src_max_size
4) check for NULL pointers
5) probably other thing I've overlooked

Something like this API:
int my_str_copy(char *dest, const char *src, size_t dest_max_size, size_t src_max_size, size_t * dest_written);
These sizes are including any NUL terminating byte.

0 on success, or an an error code like EINVAL, or ERANGE if would truncate

All comments welcome.

Kind regards, Jonny