Re: .sp 1 in strerror.3 (and probably more pages)

Hi Alex,

At 2023-08-13T17:19:59+0200, Alejandro Colomar wrote:
> While trying to apply a patch that touches some table, I found an '.sp
> 1' after a table.
>
> I tried removing it to see what it does, but it seems nothing changed.
>
> However, in the PDF version, there's some change (using .sp 1 produces
> a larger space before the next section heading).
>
> Should we keep that thing, should we replace it by something else, or
> should we remove it?

I would take it out.  If you need vertical space after a table, use a
paragraphing macro.

The reason for the difference is this.

groff_man(7):

   Horizontal and vertical spacing
[...]
     Several macros insert vertical space: .SH, .SS, .TP, .P (and its
     synonyms), .IP, and the deprecated .HP.  The default inter‐section
     and inter‐paragraph spacing is is 1v for terminal devices and 0.4v
     for typesetting devices.  (The deprecated macro .PD can change this
     vertical spacing, but its use is discouraged.)  Between .EX and .EE
     calls, the inter‐paragraph spacing is 1v regardless of output
     device.

Does this help?

Regards,
Branden